Sic Bo is a dice game of Chinese origin, similar to Craps. It is not as popular as Craps in the West, but in the East it is certainly the king of dice games.
If you are new to dice games, Sic Bo may be a good place to start as it is easier to understand and simpler than Craps. However, it still requires a little time to understand the rules fully.
And while the outcome is primarily based on luck, it helps to know how to play smart.
Sic Bo is generally played with three dice, which are rolled on a real or virtual table. The board may look complex, but the game actually just works on the outcome of the throw. Players place their bets on certain areas of the table, or clicking on them in online versions. The place on the table simply indicated the bet that you are placing. Take a little time to study the board to make sure you understand the different bets you can place. Once you understand the table, the rest is easy.
Players bet on their predictions of the outcome of the dice roll. There are a number of different bets players can place. Because each of these have different levels of probability, they have different payouts. The different types of bets are:
- Simple Bet: Players bet on a number between 1 and 6, and win the bet if the number appears on one of the dice.
- Big Bet (>10): Players win if the total sum of the numbers on the dice is greater than or equal to 10.
- Small Bet (<11): Players win if the total sum of the numbers on the dice is smaller than or equal to 11.
- Double Bet: Players win if at least two of the dice display a chosen number between 1 and 6. Similar to the simple bet but with lower odds and a higher payout.
- Triple Bet: Here, the player only wins if the number is shown on all three dice.
- Any Triple Bet: Players win if all three dice show the same number, regardless of what that number is.
- Total Bet: The player bets on a number between 4 and 17 (3 and 18 are covered by triple 1 and triple 6) and wins if the sum total of the dice is that number.
- Pair Bet: The player bets on a two number combination, and wins if these two numbers appear on two of the dice.
In Sic Bo, players can lay as many wagers they like on one roll.
Sic Bo is a luck game. Unless you are one of those very few people who can influence where the dice land up by how they throw, there is little you can do to influence the outcome of a game. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t be smart in how you play.
First of all, for a newbie, it’s a good idea to start online as the tables at brick and mortar can be intimidating and cause you to lose your head. In addition, you can play some free games to get to grips with the game before wagering real money.
Most gambling is about balancing risk and reward. But when it comes to luck based games, playing it safe is usually a good idea. That way, if you stay in the game and leave on a high, you can ensure that you don’t leave with empty pockets. Go for the bets with less of a house edge, and your payout won’t be as high, but it will be more likely to occur, and you won’t lose as much if you do lose. The two bets with the lowest house edge, at only 2.8%, are small bets and big bets. Combination bets also have a fairly low house edge.
Now that you understand the rules and have some strategy up your sleeve, what are you waiting for? Get started. Sic Bo is a fun game for beginners, and anyone looking for something a little different.